The time has finally come to replace your roof. It’s old, it’s leaking, or maybe the shingles are starting to behave in strange and undesirable ways. Whether you’re looking at a simple repair or a full roof replacement, the time has come to hire a contractor.
When hiring a roofing contractor, homeowners are chasing the sweet spot at the intersection of value, quality craftsmanship, and A+ adherence to safety and insurance requirements.
How do you do this?
HireHaven’s top 7 tips for finding a quality roofing contractor in your area are below:
- Check Manufacturer Designations and Warranty Coverage. Manufacturer designations mean that a contractor has passed certain requirements to be factory-certified. When looking at roofing contractor warranties, it’s also important to make sure that coverage includes the contractor’s workmanship; the last thing you want is to deal with an incorrectly installed roof and have to pay for repairs out of pocket. While warranties can be tricky and complex, HireHaven’s licensed experts can help you fully understand the warranties offered by each contractor and manufacturer.
- Don’t Just Go With the Cheapest Price. In roofing, as with many things, the cheapest option is almost always not the best one. While a low price may seem appealing at a surface level, it can lead to years of problems and repairs (and spending) down the road if quality craftsmanship was not a priority the first time. This is especially important in roofing because installers need to be properly insured, which is costly.
- Confirm Licensing and Insurance. Your roofing contractor should have both worker’s compensation and liability insurance for all persons working on your home. Don’t be shy about asking to see certificates of insurance before agreeing to hire a contractor – if your contractor does not have insurance and an employee suffers an injury while working on your home, you could end up on the wrong end of a legal dispute. Many states also require contractors to have additional licensing.
- Get Details About Job Logistics and Materials. Not all shingles and underlayment materials are the same, and it will be impossible to compare quotes if this isn’t clear. As a homeowner, you have different options when it comes to shingle types, and a good roofing contractor will not try to limit your choices. You should also make sure to ask about logistical job details, such as timeframe for completion, and crew size.
- Get Local Referrals. Hiring locally is a good idea for a couple of reasons – local roof contractors will be familiar with area codes and rules, and usually have strong relationships with suppliers and crews. By choosing a contractor with an established reputation in the community (look for local reviews online), you’re also helping to ensure the efficacy of your roof warranty. If your roofing contractor has gone out of business or disappeared when you need to use your warranty, it isn’t going to do you much good.
- Avoid Post-Storm Opportunists. After a big storm in your area, you may experience roofing contractors going door-to-door to sell their services. These contractors may claim that you have storm damage and push you to sign an intent letter for use of their services, but you should feel comfortable saying no to these high-pressure sales tactics. Instead, go for a reputable local referral (remember tip 5?)
- Good Communication is Key. Whether dealing with written contract details or just getting a call back – clear and prompt communication is a hallmark of professionalism that sets great roofing contractors apart from the rest.
Choosing a roofing contractor is an important decision, and one that you should feel 100% confident about. After all, you are entrusting them with the roof over your head! There are a lot of elements that make a perfect contractor, and knowing exactly what to look for can be hard. Luckily, HireHaven’s licensed experts have over 15 years of experience in the industry and are ready to help you with your project. They’ll scope out your roofing project, create a detailed report and collect bids from vetted contractors based on the report. Your expert will then walk you through your options and help you pick the perfect contractor.
If you’re ready to speak to an expert, call us at 888.392.4236 or visit HireHaven.com today.